EXTRATM is a program that offers organized soccer for players U9-U16 who want to play at a more competitive level. Club soccer teams are in place in many parts of the country, but for those who want to play harder and still be a part of AYSO, EXTRATM is perfect.
EXTRATM gives athletes whose interests and abilities lead them to a more progressive soccer experience. You can feel secure knowing your child is part of a trusted organization and will be given fair playing time. EXTRATM doesn’t take away from the regular program, but adds to the strength of the organization by keeping players and their families in AYSO.
Region 5 determines the organization of EXTRATM play to suit its needs and numbers, but AYSO’s core philosophies are still in place: everyone on the team plays at least 50 percent of each game; selection to teams is based on open and fair evaluations; and the teams are chosen to create a competitive balance.
Players playing only on an EXTRATM are eligible for tournament, travel or other secondary program teams. Region 5 has chosen the EXTRATM Side-By-Side program which is a stand-alone primary program. Coaches and parents selected to participate in these programs are required to "give back" to the standard primary program in ways identified by the Region. This is done to ensure that a strong support mechanism is retained first and foremost to the standard primary program.
EXTRATM can only be offered in areas with a regular AYSO program and is coordinated with the support of local leadership. No paid coaches or referees are allowed. All AYSO standards for training and certification for coaches and referees are in place.
WHY SHOULD YOUR CHILD PLAY EXTRATM?
Because AYSO EXTRATM is AYSO.
We understand that you may have a choice of soccer programs for your child. So, why choose AYSO EXTRATM? AYSO EXTRATM was developed to create more competitive soccer experiences without losing sight of what makes AYSO unique.
First, AYSO EXTRATM is governed by the Six Philosophies that set AYSO apart from other youth soccer organizations:
- Everyone Plays - Our goal is for kids to play soccer - so we mandate that every player on every team must play at least a half of every game.
- Balanced Teams - Each year we form teams as evenly balanced as possible - because it is fair and more fun when teams of equal ability play.
- Open Registration - Our program is open to all children. Interest and enthusiasm are the only criteria for playing. Players not selected for EXTRA™ teams are guaranteed placement on a team in AYSO's standard primary program.
- Positive Coaching - Encouragement of player effort provides for greater enjoyment and learning by the players and ultimately leads to better-skilled and better-motivated players.
- Good Sportsmanship - We strive to create a positive environment based on mutual respect rather than a win-at-all-costs attitude, and every AYSO program is designed to instill good sportsmanship in all participants.
- Player Development - We believe that all players should be able to develop their soccer skills and knowledge to the best of their abilities, both individually and as members of a team, in order to maximize their enjoyment of the game.
Second, AYSO EXTRATM is run and operated locally, by the same neighbors who run and operate all of AYSO's programs, and is supported by an extraordinary national organization.
Third, AYSO EXTRATM coaches are trained under AYSO's coaching program, the only youth soccer coaching program accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Coaching Education.
Fourth, AYSO EXTRATM is more challenging quality soccer at a less challenging cost than similar programs.
Finally, AYSO EXTRATM is designed to be FUN. A higher level of competition should never prevent players from enjoying themselves - the AYSO Way.
So, when deciding between AYSO EXTRATM and other programs, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is my child guaranteed to play at least one-half of every game?
- Do the coaches utilize positive coaching techniques and emphasize good sportsmanship?
- Are the coaches trained under an accredited curriculum?
- Is the focus on keeping the fun in the game while competing hard?
- Are the people running the program local volunteers?
- Am I getting good value for my registration dollar?
When you answer the questions, and take into consideration all of the things that make AYSO special, we believe that you will find that AYSO EXTRATM
is the right choice for you and your child.